Thursday, April 23, 2009

Potential "unlock" for Verizon and Alltel subscribers

An exciting message from one of our users is pasted below. Thanks Derrick!

Just some advise for Verizon users to try. I have an Alltel Curve 8330. I previously had the same issues with GPS not working. I actually did a few things to my phone and now it works. First I upgraded to v4.5.0.89 OS, it is not the latest but after reading several blogs, at the time it was the latest OS that supported GPS (I have no way of know if that is true, I just went with it). Updating the OS alone did not make a difference, I found another blog that explained how to do a diagnostic test on the phone. On my 8330, from the main menu, I select Options, scroll down and select Status. When viewing the Status screen I type the word “test” (without quotes, you can not see anything that is being typed). The phone goes into a diagnostic mode. I select the menu key (key just left of the trackball) and select Start. A menu is displayed with several options. The last option is GPS. I selected the GPS option, and click the run button. Instructions pop up indicating to use the track ball to select start fixing. The phone activates the GPS and gets a fix on the lat and long. After that the phone GPS chip works with all apps. I have had instances where the GPS would not get a lock, but I just redid the test and it cured my problems. Verizon users may want to try and do the same thing.

I appreciate your effort to create an app that is useful.

1 comment:

Mr Daponte said...

I tried it for the Verizon Network and it didn't work. Its stats "GPS fixing times out!"