Friday, April 10, 2009

Verizon not as open as we thought

We've been working through some issues with very patient users over the last couple of weeks, and it finally appears like we can conclude that Verizon has not really opened up the GPS chip on the Curve and 8830. We've included some horror stories from users below. Please let us know if anyone has been able to get a different answer.

"I just switched to the Curve 8330 from the Storm. I was not impressed with it at all. Anyway, I downloaded the nRange, but it keeps telling me that the GPS chip is missing or not on. My GPS is set to on, but still nothing. nRange worked great on the Storm. I just got the Curve yesterday, any ideas?"

"Spoke to verizon again. Looks like the only way to get it to work is to buy a storm per employer.They have unlocked third party gps for the storm only. He thinks it is a hardware issue. I think its software. Thanks for the reply earlier. "

4 comments:

  said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff said...

I would agree that it is a software issue. I have other 3rd party GPS apps that pinpoint my location. I am using a 3 month old Curve 8330.

Dan said...

Jeff, what apps do you have working? That would help with research. We've had multiple people who actually work at Verizon confirm that they are keeping the Curve locked to 3rd party GPS. Curves work great on other networks, but no luck yet on Verizon without using an external GPS puck.

Anonymous said...

I played this past Friday in Maryland and there were 3 guys that were from different companies including Verizon and a software company. They walked with us on the last 2 holes testing their new golf GPS APP that will be available through Verizon shortly for the STORM. Luckily I have the STORM so I was very interested in this. They walked to my shots and gave me the yardage for each which was great. It had an accurate color picture of the hole; and game me front, middle, and back of green yardage.